Your Genetic Health:
“Patients benefit from speaking to another person, skilled not only in the medical information given, but as another compassionate resource to repeat the information presented by physicians and nurses.” - Physician Testimonial
GENETIC counseling can benefit you and your family
Genetic counselors use their specialized education in both medical genetics and counseling to give you the personalized help you need when it comes to you and your family’s genetic health. Genetic counselors can work with you – and your physician – to understand complex genetic information and help you make informed decisions.
Learn More About Genetic Counselors and their Services
Find a Genetic Counselor Near You!
Use NSGC’s convenient, online Find a Genetic Counselor directory to locate a genetic counselor near you.
Access Helpful Tools and Resources
The resources and tools below provide additional information on genetic health issues, family history and how a genetic counselor can help you and your family:
- Create Your Family History Tool
This information represents a collaboration among National Society of Genetic Counselors, American Society of Human Genetics and Genetic Alliance. This tool explains the importance of discussing and creating your family history as a tool of knowledge for the future.
- Huntington’s Disease and Predictive Genetic Testing
Created as a resource included in a home viewing toolkit for the documentary film, The Lion’s Mouth Opens, this fact sheet explains Huntington's disease and how genetic counselors can help patients and families make an informed decision about predictive testing for Huntington's disease.
- Making Sense of Your Genes - A Guide to Genetic Counseling
Created in collaboration with the Genetic Alliance, this guide to genetic counseling explains what genetic counseling is, what to expect from a genetic counseling visit, and the different types of genetic counseling available.
- Genetic Discrimination Resources
- Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing Q&A
- Fact Sheet about Down Syndrome for New and Expectant Parents
- Five questions to ask before visiting a genetic counselor
- Fetal Therapy Centers Organized by State
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Ordering an At-Home DNA Test
- There are many things to consider before you have genetic testing, especially if ordering a test online without your doctor. Several companies sell DNA testing directly to the public, and the types of testing and services differ. The questions here apply to DNA tests, also called genetic tests, including health-related and ancestry.