State Licensure for Genetic Counselors
Many genetic counselors who have successfully obtained licensure in their states continue to work with the GR team and Licensure Subcommittee to provide support and expertise to other genetic counselors pursuing licensure in their states.
Licensure Resource Repository
To help support potential, new, and ongoing efforts, the Licensure Subcommittee has developed a series of Resource documents that are available upon request as well as below.
- NSGC's Guiding Principles for State Licensure: NSGC approved Licensure Guiding Principles to provide national guidance to genetic counselors seeking licensure in their respective states. NSGC will formally support efforts in states that pursue legislation that align with these principles and encourages members to take advantage of the Society's experienced lobbyists.
- Model Legislative Provisions: This model provides an outline for how licensure legislation should be structured to achieve optimal results. The model language ensures uniformity among the nation’s genetic counselors so that laws regulating the practice of genetic counseling are widely applied. Uniformity may provide greater flexibility between states regarding genetic counselor practice, and most importantly, ensure the highest quality services. Although the actual structure of legislation may vary among states, the essence of the legislation should be as uniform as possible.
- Model Sunrise Application (Coming Soon): States often use a Sunrise process to assess the necessity and impact of proposals for new and increased occupational regulation. State sunrise applications are usually a series of questions that help the legislative body evaluate the need for an occupation's request for increased regulation.
Licensure Resources Available Upon Request (The Email Subject Line Should Read: "State Licensure Resource Request."
- Genetic Counselor Licensure White Paper: This template will help you to educate policymakers and potential supporters about genetic counseling and the benefits of genetic counselor licensure in your state.
- State Licensure Contacts: Many genetic counselors who have successfully achieved licensure in their states are on hand as recources for advice and support.
If you are interested in pursuing licensure in your state, please contact John Richardson: email@example.com to get started.