Connect with us:

    Follow NSGC on FacebookFollow NSGC on LinkedInFollow NSGC on Twitter

    Welcome to the NSGC Blog!

    The NSGC Blog provides consumers easy-to-understand information about ongoing hot topics in genetic testing, including prenatal testing, breast cancer genetic testing, personalized medicine, mental health and more. Industry leaders provide insight on how genetic counselors can empower patients to make informed health decisions for themselves and their family. 

    To connect with a genetic counselor in your area, visit our Find a Genetic Counselor Tool.

    If you are a reporter interested in speaking with an NSGC spokesperson, contact Jennie Szink at 312-558-1770 or jszink@pcipr.com


    DNA, Ancestry Testing and You
    Blog: NSGC Blog | By: Brianne E. Kirkpatrick | Released: July 30, 2015, 11:56 am

    The DNA in your body is 99.9 percent identical to 99.9 percent of other people’s DNA. What about the other 0.1 percent? Variations in this tiny portion of our DNA explain why individuals have different health risks, resemble relatives and can sometimes be identified as belonging to particular ethnic

    0 Comment(s) — Latest:None | Average Rating: 0.0/5.0 (0 ratings)
    Announcements

    What Happens at a Prenatal Genetic Counseling Appointment?
    Blog: NSGC Blog | By: Jennifer Malone Hoskovec | Released: June 11, 2015, 11:27 am

    Pregnancy is an exciting time for couples but it can also be a stressful one. Being referred to a genetic counselor can temporarily raise stress levels, but genetic counseling can give moms and couples helpful information, guidance and very

    0 Comment(s) — Latest:None | Average Rating: 0.0/5.0 (0 ratings)
    Announcements

    Is there a Gene for Depression, Alcoholism or Schizophrenia? Can I Get Tested For It?
    Blog: NSGC Blog | By: Jehannine C. Austin | Released: May 26, 2015, 2:47 pm

    Is there a gene for depression, alcoholism or schizophrenia? Can I get tested for it?

    As a genetic counselor who specializes in psychiatric illnesses and addictions, I frequently hear this question from the individuals and families I meet with: Is there a gene that’s responsible for my condition?  

    0 Comment(s) — Latest:None | Average Rating: 0.0/5.0 (0 ratings)
    Announcements

    A WILD RIDE: A Genetic Counselor Undergoes Genetic Testing
    Blog: NSGC Blog | By: Caroline Lieber | Released: May 13, 2015, 10:54 am

    fter 35 years as both an academic clinician and an educator, I wanted to see what genomics was all about from the consumer perspective and to document the experience.

    The BRCA gene screening test seemed like a no-brainer. I'm not from a high-risk population, and there's no strong history of cancer

    1 Comment(s) — Latest:Jun 09, 2015 09:59 AM | Average Rating: 5.0/5.0 (1 ratings)
    Announcements

    Carrier Testing for Genetic Disorders
    Blog: NSGC Blog | By: Jason Flanagan | Released: April 23, 2015, 9:36 am

    We now know that everyone is a carrier for one or more genetic conditions.  Therefore, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends all couples considering having children be offered carrier testing prior to or during pregnancy.  

    0 Comment(s) — Latest:None | Average Rating: 5.0/5.0 (1 ratings)
    Announcements


    NSGC Executive Office | 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Suite 2000 | Chicago, IL 60611 | (312) 321-6834 | nsgc@nsgc.org